By keno | May 4, 2011
2nd Year Review of The Aquascape IonGen™ Electronic Clarifier for Ponds
Last summer (2010) I installed the Aquascape IonGen™ Electronic Clarifier for Ponds on my pond to rid my pond of the dreaded hair algae. It has been the best investment I have made so far in the war against hair algae. Actually it’s the best investment for getting rid of all the algae in my pond, not just the hair algae. The Aquascape IonGen™ Electronic Clarifier for Ponds was installed in mid-July 2010. Immediately the hair algae began to disappear and within a week it was gone and I had a lot of hair algae.
I left the IonGen device in place on the pond until the weather started to stay cold enough for ice to start forming on the pond each night which was around the beginning of November. I removed the IonGen device and the probe from the pond and stored them in my garage for the winter. In looking at the probe, it looked as if it was worn out. I was a bit disappointed in how quickly the probe wore out. The IonGen device indicates that it is good for ponds up to 25,000 gallons, my pond is just around 3,300 gallons. Over the winter I ordered a new probe.
I performed my spring pond clean up this year in mid-April. About a week later I noticed a little bit of hair algae starting to form, so it was time to re-install the IonGen device. The previous year I installed the probe into a Tee fitting that I installed in my main return line from my pump to my waterfall box which worked fine. I didn’t know if the probe had worn out because it was in the main flow of the water from the pump to the waterfall box. The other issue I had with the probe in the main flow was that leaves would wrap around the probe. So did that contribute to it wearing out so quickly? I have a basket to catch the leaves, but some leaves still get around the basket. So before I installed the new probe, I decided to put the old probe back in, but this time I was going to install the probe in the skimmer box. It would still be getting the water movement it needs to distribute the ions, but not be in the main flow.
I did notice that there was some string algae starting to form in my stream, plus there was a buildup starting of algae on all the rocks in the pond. So in went the probe inside a Tee fitting into the skimmer box. Well the old probe is still working, within a week the string algae in the stream is gone and the rocks have lost the slimy algae that was starting to build up on them. Last year when I first put the IonGen system into the pond I noticed that the green led bar indicators went straight to the top and slowly dropped to about 4-5 bars. This year with the old probe, there were only 2 green led bars lit and then after a couple of days it went to 3 bars. I am going to continue to use the old probe for as long as possible. I am not too happy with the way the probe and the Tee fitting are sitting in the skimmer box. Need to find a better way to mount them. Ideally, if I find that the probe lasts longer being out of the main flow, I would like to put the probe and Tee fitting in my waterfall box. The only issue is I don’t have power at that location. May need to run an electrical line to that location to solve that issue.